The trip begins in Santa Cruz

The trip begins in Santa Cruz
Adventure with a cause! Starting point: Stansberry Children's Home - Santa Cruz, Boliva

Share With Your Friends

 
blogger widget

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Jen Glenwright

My Personal Journey to “Cycle to the World Cup”: Jen Glenwright

My link to Stansberry Orphanage began several  years ago when I was in grade 9 at College Pierre Elliot Trudeau. I was very privileged to have Mr. Larry Paetkau as my English teacher.  It wasn’t long before all of us learned about his brother, Chuck, who was raising his family in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, while serving as the director of Stansberry.  At that time, Larry was dreaming of bringing his students down to experience life outside of Winnipeg, and I was more than keen to partake. Unfortunately, I graduated before that dream was realized.
Fast forward more than a decade later. I was fortunate enough to run into Larry and discover that he, for the eighth time, was bringing a group of students down for Spring Break.  Thinking -Hey! I am a teacher- I have the same break- I quickly blurted “Let me go with you!  I speak Spanish! I’ve travelled a fair amount! I can chaperone!” And, before I knew it, I was buying my ticket to Santa Cruz.
I’ve spent 8 months travelling and working on projects in Central America; however, upon arrival to Bolivia, I realized that this country was unlike any other I had experienced.  I was blown away at the effective and progressive methods that Stansberry implemented.  It was amazing to see the beginning, developing and completed success of their programs.  This is a place where time and money spent actually develop in results that you can see.  I was, and am, amazed.
It was on that trip in March of last year, that Larry mentioned to me Chuck’s ‘crazy’ idea. This included getting a group of people together for a fundraising bike tour from Santa Cruz, Bolivia to Sao Paulo, Brazil, to arrive during the World Cup! Upon learning that they intended to have a support vehicle, and, that we would be travelling on paved roads, I knew in my heart that I was in.
So, if you are able, please contribute to this cause.  Either by sponsoring this Prairie Girl, or donating to the cause, I can assure you; your dollar will go towards an amazing organization that makes the world a better place for orphans and under privileged children.

3 comments:

  1. You look great Jen can't wait to see you in a few weeks on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen
    Do CPET proud! Watch out for those anacondas, and remember to have fun. I am rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete